Friday, July 30, 2004

LIFE IS SOMETHING TO BE THANKFUL FOR

On the morning of July 10, 2004, my friends (Siew Ling, Khor, Hooi Kean and Jenny) together with my husband and I visited the Pure Lotus Hospice of Compassion (PLHOC). PLHOC is a non-profitable organization providing in-patient hospice care for terminally ill cancer patients.

Somehow, after our visit it only seems fitting to think about the things we are truly grateful for. Certainly, rewards can come as a result of hard work and dedicated purpose -- but then they're not luck, and trumpeting them is unseemly. Whereas other good things in life are really just an accident of birth, fate or random fortune.

The night before the visit brought back many painful memories. My first encounter with a terminally ill cancer patient was when my dad was diagnosed with advanced lung cancer. I was 9 years old then. At that age, I felt that life was being unfair to me as it has “robbed” me and my siblings of a FATHER and my mother of a HUSBAND.

Though my father is no longer with us, he left us with fond memories but most importantly, he taught us the meaning of LIFE…. To my father, LIFE is .……

“To care for and to be cared about by others;

To do the best that we can and to try to help others and make people happy;

To learn from our mistakes and move on to better things; and

To tell people that they are special to you in actions rather than in words.”

Everyday we awaken with another chance at life. Sometimes, we forget how lucky we are and we often forget to appreciate the little things around us that means so much. The visit to PLHOC reminded and made us realize that there are many reasons for us to be thankful. Most of all, I’m thankful to be alive.

My constant bout of sinusitis and migraine attacks now seem minor and pale in comparison to those with chronic illness or physical disability. Instead of complaining, I should instead learn to appreciate what life has to offer by appreciating the little things around me like the smell of rain after it has fallen, to admire the stars on a clear night, to cherish my husband and families, to soak in the sun, to talk to friends because they are listening and to hold onto the things I hold dear to my heart.

Life is good and life is precious. Hence, we should take the time to reflect and absorb life because we only have one chance at life. Life is indeed meaningful and the trick is to find your path and travel along it. Life’s journey may be hard or it may be easy - that is fate, but doing the living is to live it fully.

What we choose to do in life is based on what we believe we would regret not doing after we are no longer living. Those who believe that they will be alive tomorrow will procrastinate, those who do not will live life to it's fullest.

SO FRIENDS, LIVE YOUR LIFE ONE DAY AT A TIME AND LIVE IT TO THE FULLEST.

- by Susan

Pure Lotus Hospice of Compassion
73, Jalan Utama 10460
Penang, Malaysia
Tel / Fax: 04-229 5481


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home